_

_

Saturday, 12 December 2015

I Did a Verhan-y Bad Thing

So.  I bought Apollo a saddle.  I can’t help but feel a bit guilty.  The holidays are coming up and I’m trying to save my pennies for a trailer (note that there is a whopping $35.00 in my trailer savings account right now).   Apollo has a saddle...it’s a treeless monstrosity.  I will never sell it because he loves it so much but I can’t ride him in it more than twice a week.

I started researching Verhan saddles a bit after seeing two that caught my eye at a local tack consignment shop.  Most riders who had them seemed pretty enthusiastic about how much they loved them.  Although there was one comment about how all the riders at a stable referred to the Verhan saddle as the “riding hysterectomy”. 

Riding in a close contact saddle with a dressage pad...whatevs.





I was willing to give them a try because it sounded like they were made for wide horses that have an actual wither.  Apollo has huge round shoulders and I’ve been able to find about 5 saddles out of a million that are wide enough for him.  And 3 of those 5 saddles were clearly made for a wither-less creature.  The DK (which I’m trying not to rag on these days) is okay but was made for a horse that’s more slab-sided (like princess Mystic) and the billets were in the wrong place for Apollo.   Mystic is actually wider than Apollo, which you wouldn’t know to look at them.

I asked my husband if I could borrow his credit card to take the saddle on trial.  Not planning to purchase it but wanting to see if it was worth saving towards.   He said “You can buy it if you want...” (love this man).
I put the Verhan saddle on Apollo’s back and I heard angels singing.  It fits pretty darn good.  Not 100% perfect (it’s a touch wide if I was being picky) but 95% perfect.  Nothing a slightly thicker pad can’t fix.  It also fits Mystic quite well. 

Mare finds this saddle suitable.



The seat is is a bit hard.  No getting around that.  I can see the “riding hysterectomy” thing (my first ride I was only wearing leggings....ow).  If I wear my full seat breeches it's actually quite comfortable.  It’s so nice to be able to sit/post the trot like a human being. 

So I justified this purchase to myself like so: 
-              I rode Apollo for 4 years bareback because the DK was for sale and I couldn’t afford a replacement.  I think I have done my time in saddle limbo. 
-              I will be able to pay it off quite quickly as I just got a raise at work. 
-              It also fits Mystic (traveling pants saddle, I love you!) so I can get more use out of it. 
-              If I want to get Apollo fit I need a proper saddle. 


My life has been taken over by treating Mystic's recent puncture wound (it's minor but I get really fixated on treating wounds).  I have a bunch of half written posts that I hope to get posted shortly.  


Heal pleeeease.




Don't forget to enter my blog giveaway contest, only 7 days to go! :)


19 comments:

  1. Poor baby mytsic! Ouch. Yay at traveling pants saddle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have an ulcer from worrying about her wound! Seems to be coming around though. Woohoo for saddle! I am loving it :)

      Delete
  2. saddles are just, well, necessary. That looks like a nice one and if it works then it's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are necessary! Not the best to buy it but oh well haha :)

      Delete
  3. A good fitting saddle for both horse and rider is worth every penny (: Glad to hear you found something that is finally working out well so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm really liking it! I almost cried the first time I was able to trot Apollo and post properly... Been a while :)

      Delete
  4. There's nothing more important than a good saddle fit for good rides. Looks like a nice saddle that you can get plenty of use out of between both horses. In my opinion the purchase is justified! Have fun with it. Here's hoping Mystic heals quickly. Poor girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I hope to get a lot of use out of it :)

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty awesome husband you've got!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for finding a saddle that fits! Now you and Apollo can get down to business! I'm glad it fits Mystic too. So much easier when you can share. I hope she's feeling better quickly! Looks like you're doing a great job of keeping it clean and letting it heal.

    www.amateuratlarge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about the saddle, it so awesome to finally have something for him. Mystic wound is looking a lot better now, woohoo!

      Delete
  7. Hooray for a new saddle :)
    And hope that poor little Mystic feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm curious to take her for a ride in it too :)

      Delete
  8. yay for a saddle that fits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just buy a seatsaver and you'll be good to go!! WOOOOO!!!

    ReplyDelete