_

_

Monday, 29 May 2017

Freight Train


Alternate title:  Two falls and a car accident


I did not have the best weekend.





Henry and I finally had another lesson after a few weeks off for various reasons.  We rode on the front lawn and I was super impressed with how good he was.  The horses in the pasture can get into an area right next to where I ride now and they were galloping around and whinnying to him, he wanted to drift over there a bit but otherwise totally ignored them.


We did our W/T/C warm up and took some notes from ST on rein length and steering (ie.  Too long/we don’t have any).  As we cantered through the dandelions I felt like I was in a dream.  I remember adding leg and zooming a bit up the slope of the hill with a big smile on my face.


Henry the gardener

 

She set a little course for us and off we went to the first fence.


He was a bit behind the leg and distracted by a pile of standards sitting nearby… so once he realized we were travelling towards a jump it was too late.  Henry took a valiant deer leap over the high-side of a cross rail.  I fell onto his neck pretty hard but made it over the fence.  I had this *whew! I can’t believe I didn’t fall off!* moment.  And then he bucked me off.


I honestly think I just scared him.  I am not usually THAT unbalanced over fences!  I mostly landed on my feet, although I did twist my right ankle a bit.  I talked to him in a calm voice and he walked over to me and I told him everything was ok.  He seemed a bit rattled but honestly I don’t think anyone has fallen off of him before and it is a bit weird.  I figured it was a fluke and we’d hop on and carry on with life.


Baby Henbot to break up text wall



So we got a better trot going (with purpose!) and marched up to our blue cross rail again.  I heard ST telling me my pace and approach were perfect.  And before I knew it I was sailing through the air again.  I remember looking down and seeing how far away my saddle was…. And thinking “Whoa.  My saddle is so far away.  This is not good.”  I hit the ground.  Hard.  He bucked on landing and launched me.  I was winded and whiplashed but not dead. 



ST lunged him over some fences, working on getting his brain tuned into his work (and not his buddies or other random distractions).   He was very sweaty at the end of this! 


I got back on and walked over our evil blue crossrail a few times in both directions and called it a day.  



I gave him a bath and some pets.  I know a lot of people would be mad/frustrated at their horse but honestly I just felt kind of guilty.  Our riding schedule has been all over the map and he has pretty much been a saint.  I told him that I loved him and I would rather get bucked off of him then ride any other horse, but if he could try not to do that again it would be great… I can’t feed him grain and brush his majestic tail if I’m in traction.  I gave him a bath and some arnica (and took some myself) and then we did our traditional “Kate lays down on the grass and Henry eats all the grass” routine. 


Because I am a genius I decided to still carry on with my plan to ride Mystic.  I figured I would be incredibly stiff on Sunday so I might as well ride on the day of my injury, because I wouldn’t be able to the next day.  #equestrianlogic




Mystic was fantastic!  We rode down to the corner and then up the big hill.  She is feeling much straighter and I’m so happy that her hip/pelvis has recovered from her big slip/fall pasture incident (I assume this happened, but did not see it… massage and chiro both came up with this idea separately so I tend to agree!).   I had such a fun ride and I was glad I decided to go.






I rushed home to meet my parents for dinner.  I was about 15 minutes from my house when an SUV drove into my car.  Great.  Luckily it was captured on a dash cam (I was driving in a straight line in my own lane and he drove into me… so yeah not my fault at all).

:(




I woke up the next day feeling like I’d been hit by a freight train.  I was determined to take it easy and let my body heal up but….


I could feel my brain starting to turn my unplanned dismounts into a big scary deal.  So I decided I would go ride Henry.  Even for five minutes.  And fuck yes I rode him.  We walked over a lot of poles and small cross rails to start.  Eventually graduating to trotting over a miniature version of the evil blue crossrail  and trotting over a more properly sized crossrail.  Every time we went over the fence I told him he was the best pony ever and gave him lots of pets.   He really wanted to dive to the right over the evil blue crossrail and I think that was the root of our problem yesterday (at least initially).  It was also on a steeper incline than I realized (which is kind of hard to see in the photo below).  I maybe rode for 15 minutes but I decided to call it a day there. 


Success collage!!  Note mini blue crossrail in bottom left and our more real crossrail in the bottom right
(also sent to ST to let her know we were ok)




Because it was nice out I decided I might as well ride Mystic again too.  I don’t usually bring my dog, Molly, with me to the property she lives at but I asked C if it would be ok to bring her along for a ride.  Molly is a pretty good trail dog but C has a green horse who isn’t used to dogs.   She said no big deal.


And my dog was just the beginning of it.  Our 1.5 hour trail ride was like the desensitization Olympics.  On our usually quiet road there were three motorcycles, a quad, way more vehicles than usual, horses galloping and whinnying at a very close distance, a loose dog, kids playing catch on the road, a golf cart, and lots of birds popping out of nowhere.  Mystic is a legit BAMF.  The only thing that remotely fazed her was the golf cart (which was parked and not running…?), it was in a spot that we always ride by and it’s not usually there… so it was new I guess?  She just looked at it and took a few side steps… then shrugged and carried on being the best trail horse ever.




Should I have gone and ridden two horses after two falls and a car accident?  Probably not.  But I’m glad I did. 




I have decided to push back Henry’s XC debut for a few weeks (when ST is back from holidays), I think we both need to get our confidence back a bit, remind ourselves of some basics and I need to work on a more consistent riding schedule.   My gut tells me that this is a good call. 
I'm a little bit proud of myself for not letting a tough weekend totally kick my ass.  I still rode and tried to stay positive, and through that ended up having a lot of great wins with my horses on the weekend.

38 comments:

  1. That sure sounds like a rough Saturday. I'm so glad you were able to get back on and push through the anxiety. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was not a good day! I am glad I was able to persevere though :)

      Delete
  2. Ouch! I hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks me too! Already much better today than yesterday :)

      Delete
  3. Do you know that song 'I get knocked down/But I get up again/You're never going to keep me down'?
    That's you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh geez thanks! I hope I don't get knocked down again soon haha! :)

      Delete
  4. Can't keep a good horsewoman down. But take care of yourself. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! I hope that you don't feel too sore. I totally get the equestrian logic. It makes sense to us even if others think we've lost your minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already on the upswing, should be 100% by the weekend. Gotta love equestrian logic haha :P

      Delete
  6. Whoa! A double fall in one ride and you still got back up there?! That's some mental fortitude!! I hope some R&R gets you healed up quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm already feeling a lot better so that's a good thing :)

      Delete
  7. Oh no! At least Mystic was a star for you handling all of that on your trail ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystic was my rockstar last weekend for sure! :)

      Delete
  8. Ouch! I'm impressed you went back for more the next day! I got dumped two weekends ago and was most definitely out of commission for the next couple of days. Good for you conquering that fear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit surprised at myself too, but I'm glad I did... my brain really wanted to make a big deal out of it and it's really just green horse life. I'm definitely planning short/sweet rides in the next week until I'm 100% :)

      Delete
  9. Dang, girl. Glad you're okay and good work getting back out there and doing the thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping I'll be 100% by next weekend :)

      Delete
  10. aw man, what a bummer - glad you're ok tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Certainly could have been a lot worse :)

      Delete
  11. That's awesome that you were able to get some trust-building rides in after the falls, I'm a big believer in the "trust bank" concept and making those deposits can be so important especially after a rough ride. Pushing off XC sounds like a good call though. I hope you, Henry, and your car are all back at 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also yes, let's meet up this weekend, I tried to send you a message but not sure if it worked

      Delete
    2. I like the trust bank concept too! I want to make a few more deposits before we take our show on the road haha :) Yes this weekend would be so awesome. Hopefully I will have wheels ready to meet up :)

      Delete
  12. Super impressed you climbed back aboard after all that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know how I managed it haha (I'm such a wimp!) but I'm glad I did :)

      Delete
  13. UGH! You were ABUSED! So sorry Henry had a bit of a baby day, but good for you to get right back to it and not let the bad day get to either one of you. Sounds like he's feeling back to his normal self!
    Total double UGH about that driver. I'm glad you are ok!
    And yay for Mystic being such a great girl despite all the chaos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The universe tried to kill me last weekend for sure! I'm glad Henry is back to usual lazy Henry and I'm slowly starting to feel less stiff ;)

      Delete
  14. Damn girl!! Glad everything is okay now (minus your poor car) and that you kicked some ass the next day anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! So crazy! I feel bad for my car, it's going in to have an assessment/fix shortly - so it will be 100% soon too :)

      Delete
  15. That was one tough day but you persevered and got through it. Great logic for the next day, glad it all worked out. Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I'm a little stiff but not too bad, getting better!

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a rough day! Glad you persevered with Henry over the crossrails though, and sounds like you had an awesome trail ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud of myself for getting back on! Hopefully will get some more solid rides in over the weekend :)

      Delete